WING CHUN: Close Range Combat
WING CHUN is a simple but effective method of self-defense based in the traditional Chinese martial arts of Kung Fu. It is a relatively young system, but in the last few hundred years it has spread to every corner of the Earth because it is practical, can be learned in a short period of time, and can be practiced by people of all sizes and ranges of physical ability.
WING CHUN has no delusions of being the "ultimate martial art." There is no sport or competitive aspect, the forms are not aesthetically pretty like traditional animal-style Kung Fu, and no one takes home shiny trophies. WING CHUN is designed for one thing, and one thing only: allow you to defend yourself against a violent assault. With that purpose in mind, WING CHUN evolved to work best in a very specific set of circumstances:
- You are defending from a position of disadvantage. This may mean you have been assaulted by surprise or ambushed when you are unprepared to defend.
- Your attacker is bigger and stronger or otherwise has physical advantage.
- You may be defending with limited mobility, such as in a hallway, elevator or other confined space.
- You may be defending while standing, while seated, or while on the ground.
- You may be facing a single attacker or multiple attackers.
WING CHUN CONCEPTS is a guidebook to introduce you to the principles and techniques of this unique method of self-defense. What you are reading is a SNEAK PEEK preview of a work in progress. This guide will be evolving over time with the addition of new content, images and video. Some information is freely available to the public, while the core content is restricted to enrolled students.
WING CHUN CLASSES are currently available in Birmingham, AL USA. To learn more about class locations and schedules, please visit KungFuBirmingham.com.